Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Oh for an empty shed!?

Well Melbourne winter is starting to hit - which makes working on the car in the evenings after work awfully uncomfortable under the carport, and pretty much impossible if its raining & windy! I'm now starting to curse the fact that my shed is full to the brim with my half assembled(or dis-assembled, which ever way you want to look at it!) EH Holden!

But progress is still happening! Namely the front suspension is complete(custom coilovers look very sexy!) and engine has now finally taken its rightful position back in the front of the car! It will be coming out again soon enough though as I plan to fit some new seals, timing belt, tensioner pulley etc. before its fired up. But for the moment I need to identify any issues with the electricals, fuel system, induction plumbing, turbo positioning etc.

The fuel system is pretty much complete - I had Antony from Outlaw Welding fab up an alloy box to sit in the spare wheel well so I can seal off the surge tank, EFI filter, high pressure EFI pump and associated fittings from the cabin as per CAMS regulations - I think it turned out prett
y well. I just need to make up a ploycarbonate lid for it. I've secured the new alloy 10mm fuel feed line under the car and have sourced all the remaining fittings to connect everything up which will be done this weekend hopefully! I was planning on fitting a Malpassi rising rate fuel regulator to the system, which I had lying around, in place of the OEM reg but after speaking to a few knowledgable people about it have decided to retain the OEM fuel reg and the OEM pulsation damper. They seem to be capable of the job for the moment and should prevent any tuning issues due to fuel pressure fluctuations which can result from changing things around. I also had a 3/8 barb fitting welded to the fuel rail entry point in place of the old 5/16 fitting though so the fuel feed is a constant 3/8"(or 10mm) from the pump to the fuel rail. I'm using the old feed line for the return line which is only 1/4", as is the actual fuel tank feed and return. I'm using 5/16 hose for all the connections between the old 1/4" pipes and for the surge tank overflow and feed lines. I'm hoping the 1/4" pipes arent going cause any restrictions? Apparently other people who have done 4AGTE conversions have gotten away with it so lets hope.

I think the next step will be to look at the electrics(not looking forward to that!), then pull the engine back out to to fit the new seals/belts and the clutch and flywheel, then it will be getting close to fire up time!

No comments: