Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The need for more speed!

After 3-4 years of 7-8 sprints meets per year, the WRX was starting to get a little tired in some areas, plus I was wanting to get a little more serious with car set-up. I had been racing in Clubman class which allows minimal modifications to the factory delivered WRX(basically OEM engine and ECU with a few suspension tweaks, and non R spec tyres). To move up to modified classes in the WRX meant spending a lot of money on the car to be competitive. The car was also my daily driver and I wanted it to remain that way.

The decision was made to build a dedicated track car, I could then modify to my hearts content without worrying about road legalities, and it also meant that I could break it at a track meet and still have a car to get me to work on Monday! It made sense, I just had to find a suitable car to start with. My criteria was a small light RWD car.

A good friend of mine was big into the Best Motoring International Series DVD's - I borrowed a Hot Version DVD off him one day which featured the AE86 N2 series race with Keichi Tsuchiya at the wheel of the TRD Levin - from then on I was sold on the AE86!


No comments: