Monday, July 7, 2008

Some of those those round things!

Of course a car needs wheels! The old 13" stockers are an embarassment. My ideal wheels for this car are Watanabe RS, in 15", very wide and very low negative offset. But alas I cant afford at this stage to build my ideal dream race car - so I settled for locally manufactured Superlights in 15x8 with -4 offset. I like to call them "the poor mans Watanabe's". They are very similar style.

Whilst deciding on the wheels I looked around for an existing local race series that used the same size wheels, my thinking was that I may be able to source a good supply of 2nd hand race rubber from the racers and keep tyre costs low. The local Porsche 944 Challenge series just so happens to use 15x8 rims with 225/50 Advans. I contacted some of the racers and before too long had guys offering me sets of slightly used tyres for a fraction of new cost!

As you can see from the last pic - this size wheel and tyre do not fit without modification to the stock guards!

No comments: